Sunday, April 21, 2013

How To Make Sleep Pants From Pillowcases

 I am not sure what goes on in my linen closet, but I think it results in an excess number of pillowcases.  I have so many it has started to become a problem.  Unfortunately, my girls are too big for a cute pillowcase dress.  I've seem some cute tops made from pillowcases.  But I don't think it would work for the ones I have.  Most of them are pretty plain.  Now that the weather is turning quite warm, I decided I could use some lightweight sleep pants.  I got the wild idea to see if I could use my pillowcases for some pants.  It worked out great!  A pair of standard pillowcases make sleep pants that come just below my knees.  Kings size pillow cases are long enough to reach just above my ankles.  If you are making them for children, you may be able to get a set out of one pillowcase.  Here is how I did it!
I started with a pillowcase laid out flat with the cuff at the end.  I had a pattern for some sleep pants so I used that, but you could easily make your own from a pair of comfortable pants you have.  Just don't forget to add a seam allowance. 










I cut out the two sides. 
















Then stitch up the leg part leaving the rounded crotch seem open. 













Place one side inside the other leg with right sides together matching the leg seams and stitch all the way around the crotch seam.  Be careful to sew all the way around, like a U shape.  I like to reinforce this seam with another stitch line a 1/4" away.  Then pull the leg out and you will magically see a pair of pants! 



Next make your casing for the elastic waist.  I measure my waist and add about an inch.  This leaves the waist band pretty loose which I like when I am sleeping.  Depending on what size your elastic is make your casing 1/2" larger by just folding the top over.  I like to finish my edge before doing this, but it doesn't have to be finished or you can fold it over twice to avoid a raw edge.  Leave a small space in your stitching to thread your elastic. 






Use a safety pin on one end of the elastic and use it to thread the elastic all the way through the casing being careful not to twist the elastic.  Then sew your elastic together with a wide zig zag stitch.




  Finish the seam on the casing and you are all done!
 You don't have to hem or finish the bottom because the cuff of the pillowcase is already there. 


 




 


 

 



 

 


3 comments:

  1. That is awesome, great way to recycle a pillow and looks easy enough to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great idea for my Operation Christmas Child boxes I put together in the fall each year for children. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did the a great work writing and revealing the hidden beneficial features of
    white linen curtains

    ReplyDelete